Category Archives: Triple III
Inspiring Innovations, Inc
April 2020 Podcast
Telling YOUR Career Story
I know I have mentioned it before in my TRIPLE III TIME blogs and sometimes for sure in these LEARNING MOMENTS podcasts. But this month I felt it is timely to explain the professional and personal value of Telling YOUR Career Story!
Unfortunately, I don’t believe people understand the powerful impact one can have on others by simply sharing their lifetime experiences. The wins… loses… goods and bads are all quality LEARNING MOMENTS. When you think about cool people you know and wonder about their career journey… remember how important Telling YOUR Career Story to family, friends, co-workers and colleagues might be!
In the consultant world and more specifically in the field of working with people, dealing effectively with conflict resolution is a principle assignment. Whether the issue is money, performance, personnel… well just about anything… having a calm, thoughtful and progressive methodology for resolving the conflict issue is critical.
Think in-depth about your multiple conflict moments. Did you apply patience, good listening skills, compromise options, and a “we are in this together” resolution approach? Or did everyone get off into side-bar conversations and issues that only seemed to expand the area and levels of conflict?
Well with all of the regular life and workplace challenges that create conflict everywhere… EVERYDAY… we need to spend a little TRIPLE III TIME applying a CONFLICT “Made Easy” approach.
What do I mean? I guess I mean it is necessary to “peel back the conflict layers” and try and simplify the challenge.
- First, determine exactly WHAT DO I WANT? … independent from the conflict.
- Remove all past problems that come from working with the person or persons involved in the conflict.
- Ask everyone else involved to also identify exactly WHAT DO I/WE WANT? as a progressive solution.
- Totally limit the “But what about’s” added to the conflict discussion.
- Qualify the inclusion of any “past precedents” that involve the conflict.
- Write down everyone’s progressive solution compromises early in the conflict conversation.
- Remind everyone that conflict is a TEAM sport and winning is accomplished together.
- “Going back to go forward” from time to time is a positive conflict resolution action.
- Avoid if possible diverse participation options (i.e. Skype/video-conferencing/telephone/etc.)
- Repeat multiple times during the conflict resolution session: THIS IS WHAT I/WE WANT!
Are these TOP 10 CONFLICT “Made Easy” suggestions… EASY? NO! However, if you and your group even just agree to start practicing these basic interpersonal discussion actions during conflicts… I believe progress will be your reward!
Did you ever wonder what a: How to Achieve a Balanced Life! Workshop agenda would look like today? What would be the major topics of discussion? What would be the focus of breakout sessions? And what would be the workshop “take-aways” in oral or written form… that a year from now you would remember them?
Would you ever have thought the topics might include:
- Around the clock TV-News-Sports
- Mass Shootings Can Happen Anywhere
- Virtual vs. Face Time Continuous Learning
- Life After a Pandemic
- Hateful Politics Unlimited
- Shopping Locally in a Global World
- Jobs/Careers/Earnings… What Can You Count On?
But then think a little more. How could you address even one or all of these topics well in a cool, one-day, How to Achieve a Balanced Life! Workshop?
Well for those who tried to “skip-ahead” in this TRIPLE III TIME message to find the answer… guess what… no answer… just advice.
Sometimes you have to go back… to find the best way forward. My Grandma and Grandpa used to pass along a ton of great, thoughtful points of advice. One I remember more today was: “You better know what you want most… because you only have so much time in this world.” So maybe (with this advice in mind) a How to Achieve a Balanced Life! Workshop would NOT address any of the topics listed… but would instead talk about how you use your LIFE-TIME today… EVERYDAY. The session could also discuss the notion that YOU have control over what you think about… what you do… and the value of each. And finally, my Grandparents would want the workshop to require you to write down (not email) the TOP 10 life things you want most. I think they would agree that if you had a good idea of what you want most… YOU could lead a classy How to Achieve a Balanced Life! workshop.
What do you think… could you??
It is very difficult to draft a TRIPLE III TIME message that attempts to ignore or totally look beyond the impacts of the COVID-19 virus… believe me I have tried. Even when I go back to the beginning of Inspiring Innovations, Inc…. I think about the basic definition of INNOVATION: Introduce Something New… and I realize that all the scientists are working very hard on finding a new cure… right? But what about all of US… how can we maximize our innovative spirit today… tomorrow… in spite of the virus limitations.
Well, I suggest that we consider an alternative INNOVATION definition! One that says: INNOVATION Means – Focus on the CAN DOS… not the CAN NOTS! This means that during this time of endless lists/rules of everything we CAN NOT do… how about if we put together a unique TOP 10 list of CAN DOS!!
- Prepare a “Let’s Go Beyond” list of CAN DO initiatives to consider when you return to your day job (and not just regular restart actions.)
- Complete a “Reconnect” project right now that includes conversing via telephone (not social media) with at least 5 cool leadership colleagues.
- Draft a “Concept Paper” on a personal/professional development component that you will start TODAY!
- Complete an in-depth staff evaluation… on yourself and be critical and honest.
- Identify one (1) person/organization that you would like to partner with on a project… and initiate the conversation TODAY.
- Assess your communication tools, process and timing… determine 3 things you could do better.
- Consider your “example-setting” practices. Are you a GREAT example setter?
- Ask yourself: Who/What inspires me? Why?
- Undertake at least one (1) “mindless” project. (Give your mind a break from the news and worry)
- Determine if you are a good decision maker? Do people come to you for discussions or decisions?
Bottomline: (For today especially) Pick at least one of the INNOVATION Means – Focus on the CAN DOS… not the CAN NOTS TOP 10 ideas… and have fun.
First, I want to make sure everyone knows that this excellent idea: Community Service… A US Citizen Requirement… is not mine. Instead, I am honored to report this idea came from H.L. in the form of a Position Paper and she is a student in one of my American Government & Politics classes.
Think about it?!
What a great citizenship example-setting action that could start in all US elementary schools. Students could be offered a leadership choice to select what form of community service they would become involved in. Concurrently teachers would have their opportunity to tell their community service “career stories” in an effort to explain the purpose, value, and legacy that comes from these actions.
Now I realize that most US citizens perform multiple community service activities. However, do they do it as a volunteer… or because it is an unexpected function of being a good… no GREAT American citizen. People brag about being an AMERICAN. How extra cool would it be to brag about every US citizen taking time for community service… not because they have to… but because it is a citizenship responsibility?
Sometimes I feel like the US has lost its citizenship “personality”? Between divisive politics and trying to be everything to everyone… we have lost our genuine US Citizen Personality!
Bottomline: This TRIPLE III TIME message is not about today’s United States challenges… but simply about encouraging Inspiring Innovations, Inc. principles:
- Developing YOU!
- Communication LIVES!
- Innovation NOW!
- Leadership ALWAYS!
Thank you, H.L., for your timely reminder recommendation.
Passing The (Leadership) Buck is another thought generating podcast episode on assessing someone’s leadership qualities and leadership style. Issues like taking responsibility, example-setting and staying progressively current are all factors to consider when facing a Passing The (Leadership) Buck situation. And interestingly one may realize that the LEARNING MOMENTS in this area are more about what NOT to do as a leader (i.e. DON’T PASS THE BUCK!)
Enjoy the message.
Today with a good economy and a solid job market, the challenge for everyone recruiting new employees to find the “right” person… is at an all-time high. Resumes, cover letters, college transcripts, letters of recommendation and calls to reference people all are and need to be given extra attention during the selection process! Is the process easy… NO! But is the process in your organization mostly traditional?? Do you ask many of the same questions… follow the same patterns of scoring candidates and assessing the same areas of qualification? Do you ever specifically consider THE COMPATIBILITY FACTOR during the hiring/interview process?
What do I mean by THE COMPATIBILITY FACTOR?
I would suggest that THE COMPATIBILITY FACTOR focuses on the personal and personality “fit” of someone in your organization. Do you assess their:
- Compatibility with your groups professional culture (or do you even know your culture?)
- Compatibility as an idea person or someone who focuses on stability
- Compatibility to flex with the different educational levels of personnel in your organization
- Compatibility to share information and blend into a team
- Compatibility to eliminating an “its not my job” attitude in your workplace
- Compatibility with diverse gender, race, age and ethic service groups
Think about the documents you review and interview questions you ask. Do they give you enough information to rank THE COMPATIBILITY FACTOR of every candidate? Someone may have all the credentials and interview very well… but would they positively/progressively contribute to your organizational culture and enthusiastically support the business/service CAUSE you stand for?? THAT IS THE COMPATIBILITY FACTOR!
Every once in a while, I can’t help but wonder about what our Founding Fathers would think/say regarding how far we have progressed as a country. Then I ask: “Would they be supportive if we considered changing a few governmental approaches that they placed in the Constitution so many years ago?”
Well in my Repurposing Public Administration, American Society for Public Administration quarterly article, I took the position that the Founding Fathers would say: “Let’s hear what you have in mind!” So, keep these thoughts in mind as you read the article.
PATIMES.ORG: Repurposing Public Administration
As you watch and read the multiple newpieces that evolve out of the area television, radio, newspapers and social media, aren’t you always disappointed at the level of negative information and volume of inaccuracies? Don’t you wonder how this happens and more importantly how organizations and businesses enable this to happen?
Well first be advised that often sad and poor news is unavoidable. However, the purpose of this TRIPLE III TIME message is to encourage you to take a proactive position and work to progressively, positively and regularly Manage Your News!
What do I mean?
First get in the habit of “feeding” the media a regular diet of good, positive newsworthy items about your group. News outlets are always searching and investigating for stories concerning their broadcast/circulation areas. If they can receive quality information with minimum effort… the odds of their using your story/data is very high.
Second, always attempt to point their “interest-arrow” more toward what is coming progressively in the future… instead of focusing on “old-news”. Timing is always critical to those trying to get the best story… first. Therefore, if you promote/hype an upcoming event or action they should be part of … the greater your ability to better control the resulting front page highlights that may appear.
Finally, I believe there is extra value in preparing and practicing “newspiece-simplicity”. Newspiece-simplicity means minimizing the readers/viewers ability to misinterpret your messages. Often in your efforts to effectively and efficiently Manager Your News… you only get one chance to “Get-It-Right”… so simplicity (again) matters!
Managing Your News will never be a single or simple job responsibility. However, as it becomes a professional habit, the return on your time invested will be realized.
Every now and again individuals are asked to take on a unique tough task and to organize a group to “git-r-done”! Most times those assigned the challenge are familiar with co-workers and other partners … people who would/could help in getting the best result for the time and effort required. But did you ever take the time to identify and list the qualities you would look for while Assembling the Dream Team?
Well during all of my career I have had to put together teams of professionals that I believed were “the best in the business”. However, at no time did I ever find a helpful list of personnel traits that would aide in Assembling the Dream Team to take on a specific challenge. So as you can guess this week’s TRIPLE III TIME message is all about a special TOP 10 for that purpose.
- Each candidate must be able to “see and feel” the outcome goal… before anything even starts.
- Diversity of team member skill sets is an expectation.
- Familiarity with the objective is not a must for all members… but at least half.
- Compatible senses of humor are helpful… because FUN is a teamwork must.
- Debate is required… not just expected regarding the best actions for the initiative.
- A realist in the cost area is a mandatory membership area… maybe even more than one.
- Likewise a designated “keeper-of-the-records” must be included to ensure documentation of steady progress and proof of goal achievement.
- This is hard to explain… but a common sense, practical application team member is required to “tell the story” of how and why.
- An add-value team member would be someone who is artistic… and can help offer the VISUAL.
- Finally (but for sure my priority member) DREAMERS! Members who can have a futuristic, creative, new era, innovation-based mode of conduct and influence!
I could probably extend the list but I think it is important to everyone reading this Assembling the Dream Team message to add their own ideas. I hope this helps!