Category Archives: Triple III
For those who know me… I mean really know me… they know that I have not been a supporter of program evaluations. Why? First evaluations are all about “old news” and/or activities that took place in the past. My focus was and continues to be on the future and “what next!” Second, evaluations never seemed to be “up-with-the-times”. The evaluation forms, processes, questions, and reports always were basic, historical, and by-the-book. There never seemed to be an interest or priority set around linking evaluation to innovation.
Well as you can see from this week’s TRIPLE III TIME message, my quarterly American Society for Public Administration article is dedicated to Using Evaluation To Infuse Innovations! My history discussion and progress suggestions may not be easily accepted nor usable. However, I will now admit that the use of quality evaluation findings can and should be contributors to infuse innovations in public service programming… whenever the opportunity arises.
Enjoy the article!
Several months ago, I was asked to be the 2020 Graduation Ceremony Speaker at a local high school! Of course, I said “YES!!” and began planning what I would say when the May 29th date arrived. Well as you can guess, the COVID-19 issue has caused the cancelation of almost all major social gathering events and it quickly became an alternative challenge to prepare a video-version of my speech.
Please know that: (1) I completed it well ahead of schedule, (2) I had great extra video-prep help to make it look cool, and (3) just to make sure everyone viewing it enjoyed the messages… I began the speech with a GOATS (Greatest Of All Time Speaker) package of helpful hints… that I “magically” ordered online!!
Here were my main points:
- Remember Your ROOTS
- Brag about your home area/high school/learnings from home (if you don’t… who will?)
- Keep a Career ROOTS Diary “forever” that includes education/job/achievement information
- Consider yourself a SPECIAL HYBRID with knowledge and skills… that contains Career ROOTS only you have (and are still growing)
- Practice RESPECT
- Look people in the eyes when you talk with them
- Listening well is one of the greatest forms of practicing respect
- Shake hands when you greet people… LIKE YOU MEAN IT! (People remember)
- Just Be YOU
- Be authentic in your conversations and actions
- People recognize FAKE stuff… (would you buy a fake Babe Ruth autographed ball?)
- Family, friends, and co-workers enjoy and want to be around REAL/AUTHENTIC people… so be one!
- Don’t try to be someone/something else… just be YOU!
I really appreciated the opportunity!!
The “zone” of communication has taken many new and different turns in lieu of the multiple unique challenges we all have been facing. So too in the area of marketing. Trying to mold and deliver the most appropriate and effective product/service information… I believe… has become a much greater and ever confusing assignment.
Think about it?!
Think of all the dollars that are spent on radio promos, video spots, newspaper ads, billboards… and the list goes on. Are people really looking, reading, and absorbing the message you want? Are people becoming “screen-time adverse” and somewhat reluctant to embrace any form of media due to the constant… always bad news phenomenon?
Well this TRIPLE III TIME message is about the “We Are All in This Together” thought process. And if we extend this process and picture everyone sitting around the dinner table… it is now time to politely and regularly as everyone to: “Please Pass the WORD!”
What do I mean? I mean that today more than ever before it is everyone’s responsibility to promote, explain, identify and be a testimonial to good products and services in your area, region, and State! Be the first one to offer positive experience information, details about service quality, professional manner, and cool customer service. Also, when someone asks you to “Please Pass the WORD!” for a business or agency… don’t be wordy. No… just be simple, clear, and timely in your delivery.
The best promotional/advertising campaign is still found in person-to-person sharing. So, as you sit at the “I’m a supportive citizen table” today… everyday… make sure you loudly ask/say: “Please Pass the WORD!!”
May 2020 Podcast
“Brag-Ability”?! Yes, it is a fun, innovative way of stating the importance of having the ability to authentically brag about a special capacity of your business or organization. Another way of explaining Brag-Ability is to truthfully state that you are one of the “Best-In-The-Business” regarding the delivery of a certain product or service.
This months Inspiring Innovations LEARNING MOMENTS podcast is all about establishing an area of Brag-Ability for your business or organization. A positive, progressive area that colleagues, customers and the general public recognize as “Something You Stand For” … everyday… EVERYDAY!
Enjoy the message.
When the idea of starting up a professional development consultant business was a career-changing priority for me… all kinds of questions/decisions were placed on the table. What would the name of the company be? What type of motto/slogan would be applied to the services? What logo, emblem or picture would be used to offer the best image of progress, innovation, and creativity?
Well as you can see/know… Inspiring Innovations, Inc. and a picture from around my home were selected as the business name and image. But today this TRIPLE III TIME message is more about the “Always A Better Way!” motto. I believe everyone connected to my business understands that my consultant assistance will ALWAYS be about finding a better way to accomplish a goal to get the job done. It is what I/Inspiring Innovations, Inc. stands for.
But today and maybe just for this time in our world… how about if we amend my business motto? So instead of Always A Better Way…lets stress the need to support creating: Always ANOTHER Way!.
Maybe even an “Always ANOTHER Way!” TOP 10.
- Lead by example… more than ever before.
- Switch places with your customers and know no two are the same… more than ever before.
- Don’t get mad at technology… because it didn’t want to be stressed either… more than ever before.
- Life-long learning is no longer just an option… more than ever before.
- Help those around you return to work… apply extra patience… more than ever before.
- Don’t assume your online messaging is perfect… perfection doesn’t exist… more than ever before.
- Appreciate the physical contact of just shaking/holding someone’s hand… more than ever before.
- Be encouraging, creative, and professional about changing job routines… more than ever before.
- Don’t keep new, alternative ideas to yourself… they are needed… more than ever before.
- Don’t be quick to say “this will never work” … first, try Always ANOTHER Way… more than ever before.
Maybe print this TRIPLE III TIME message and have it handy in case you need Inspiring Innovations, Inc. reminders… MORE THAN EVER BEFORE!
It has been a while since I came across a writing that I wanted to share via a TRIPLE III TIME message. The sixteen (16) universal teaching techniques listed below were included in an article written by Chuck Salter. In his article, he linked great teachers with effective classroom leadership and believes these techniques need to be nurtured and applied continuously. Check them out:
- It’s not about you; it’s about them. [Let students share too!]
- Study your students.
- Students take risks when teachers create a safe environment.
- Great teachers exude passion as well as purpose.
- Students learn when teachers show them how much they need to learn.
- Keep it clear even if you can’t keep it simple.
- Practice vulnerability without sacrificing credibility.
- Teach from the heart.
- Repeat the important points.
- Good teachers ask good questions.
- You’re not passing out information. [This means that you are teaching others how to think.]
- Stop talking –and start listening.
- Learn what to listen for.
- Let your students teach each other.
- Avoid using the same approach for everyone.
- Never stop teaching. [This means be approachable after class time.]
We Are All Teachers… Sometime! At our job, at home, with family, friends, or colleagues… teaching happens. So keep this list handy and use it often.
As we all appropriately plan for a “reopened” future in our own worlds of work, there can be no better time to complete an insightful ASSET INVENTORY. No matter the services you provide or product you produce… taking strategic planning time to identify and evaluate the multiple assets we have inside and outside our organizations or businesses… is time well spent.
Look first at any organization’s greatest asset… personnel. Consider the following questions:
- Is everyone in the “right position” and making the maximum contribution?
- Is there a need for new/different training that could/should be organized?
- Are there going to be new/unique personnel responsibilities that need to be assigned to certain staff?
- Is there the potential of job changes, retirements or quits in the near future… and have succession plans been drafted?
Next, think about facilities.
- Are there even more improvements or adjustments that should be made to accommodate “online-everything”?
- With “workplace safety” now having an extended meaning… what else needs to be done?
- What facilities changes would make you the maximum “go-to-place” for your product/service?
- Is asked… what would your client/customers say about your facilities?
The final ASSET INVENTORY – Timing is Everything TRIPLE III TIME topic is partnerships.
- Consider the new/alternative partnerships that have evolved due to the pandemic… will you build on them?
- Do current partners know they are your partners and why?
- If you surveyed your staff… would they recommend additional partnerships… maybe cancel some current ones?
- Also, if you surveyed current partners would they suggest new service/product offerings?
I realize that taking stock of your assets has been a previous TRIPLE III TIME priority. However, I guess when you think about the ASSET INVENTORY – Timing is Everything message… I hope you understand that some things never can be taken for granted.
I am not sure exactly when it started… or who started the “name-each-day-phenomenon”?! You know what I mean. That April 20th is: Eat a Cheesecake Day… or September 19th is Clean Your Eavestroughs Day… or December 10th is Build Your Frist Snowman Day! (I made all of these up… just for the record.) But for this weeks’ TRIPLE III TIME message… I would like to proclaim Friday, April 24th as: “Fix-A-Techno-Form Day!”.
First, my intent for this exclusive “Fix-A-Techno-Form Day!” is to encourage everyone to go online in their business, organization or even personal areas and make a cool upgrade. Whether the upgrade is modernizing a form, updating information on your website, changing certain color schemes, or just adding an enthusiastic message… right now is a key time to employ a “Fix-A-Techno-Form Day!” strategy.
Why? Think about it.
With all that we have been through over the last few months… the value, information, accuracy, and up-to-date-ness of your online presence has grown a hundred-fold! Consider the expanded status of e-commerce transactions, applications for government service, and just the instances of sharing multiple forms of messages! By initiating a “Fix-A-Techno-Form Day!” (or maybe a week or month?) you could make sure all aspects of your online appearance and personality are modern, fresh and welcoming.
So, during this extensive “work from home” time, don’t think about sharpening your pencil to get and stay ahead… rather SHARPEN YOUR MOUSE and support the not-so-official “Fix-A-Techno-Form Day!”
During the last few months with all the challenges everyone has had to face… adjust to… apply maximum patience… and struggle to think about “that better day.” With the writing of each TRIPLE III TIME message, I have attempted to continue with positive, useful concepts that may help on a professional or personal level. Specifically, I have tried to avoid references to COVID-19 and/or use of that Pandemic word because there was no feel for progressiveness (if that is really a word) in any message using those terms. However, today with news of designs of “reopening” the world around us… it is necessary to revisit a Leadership/Communication/Innovation/Special Development topic that has changed in all public and private sector areas: UNPLANNED CUSTOMER SERVICING.
Think about it… and when you do… picture your mother or best friend sitting across the counter or desk in front of you. Also understand that this TRIPLE III TIME message is intended to focus your awareness (and make a few suggestions) on UNPLANNED CUSTOMER SERVICING expectations and to begin adapting a long-term strategy for dealing with them.
Here they are:
- More than ever before begin your CUSTOMER SERVICE by better understanding THEIR expectations… they will be different.
- Embrace the notion that “distancing” may have to be the norm.
- Revisit your telephone communication methods, style, length, etc. for effectiveness and efficiency. Specialized listening will be key!
- Don’t expect janitors/custodians to be the single cleaning agents… take a personal role.
- Don’t be angry or afraid of an “online-everything” world.
- As customers… employ extra patience to local businesses… their adjustments are probably bigger than yours.
- Redesigning your business/organization customer service physical layout… may be the timely thing to do.
- Don’t fight the multiple techno-options for conducting staff meetings. (Make technology work even better for you).
- Use this unfortunate event to consider other simplicity/efficiency actions in all that you do.
- Allow new/unique ideas for better UNPLANNED CUSTOMER SERVICING to be considered… from EVERYONE!
Bottomline: The goal of the UNPLANNED CUSTOMER SERVICING TRIPLE III TIME message is to push you harder to see the future. The TOP 10 awareness points are intended to have you think about how our customers will have different expectations when they contact you in person or online. And because every service/product offering is different… so too should be your re-energized CUSTOMER SERVICING strategy. Be a leader in this area… not a follower.
Inspiring Innovations, Inc
April 2020 Podcast
Telling YOUR Career Story
I know I have mentioned it before in my TRIPLE III TIME blogs and sometimes for sure in these LEARNING MOMENTS podcasts. But this month I felt it is timely to explain the professional and personal value of Telling YOUR Career Story!
Unfortunately, I don’t believe people understand the powerful impact one can have on others by simply sharing their lifetime experiences. The wins… loses… goods and bads are all quality LEARNING MOMENTS. When you think about cool people you know and wonder about their career journey… remember how important Telling YOUR Career Story to family, friends, co-workers and colleagues might be!