TRIPLE III TIME: Battles For Your Backing!
One of the most interesting and challenging areas of personnel leadership and management is observing the internal and external individual Battles For Your Backing.
Think about it?!
As someone involved in organizational or business leadership, consider the different conversations employees have with you on multiple work and non-work topics. How often do they try to convince you that their view is the most righteous view? Or isn’t it interesting for someone to bring up a certain policy change decision and subtly inform you of its good or bad organization wide impacts? Lastly consider the number of times partner organizations “go-fishing” to determine your position on a certain agenda item and proceed to adjust your thinking on the issue to be more in line with their beliefs.
Battles For Your Backing are a very natural, human instinct course of action in the workplace. The most important LEADERSHIP consideration regarding these Battles is the manner in which you deal with them. And for today…because there are so many areas to consider regarding the Battles For Your Backing topic, lets just start with a few simple TRIPLE III TIME professional suggestions:
- Always listen intently, there is always a piece of constructive information in any Battles discussion.
- Consider the source (you know what I mean) of the Backing request.
- Assess your ability to EQUALLY discuss the issue.
- Determine fact versus opinion.
- Ask yourself it you are “swayed” by the presentation or the information quality.
- Is the Battle topic one you would take forward to your supervisor?
- Think about the Battle benefits…is it for the individuals personal gain or organizational.
- Consider if the Battle topic is new…old…or recycled.
- Apply the “Timing Is Everything” phrase to the Battle request.
- Finally, be sure to prioritize your own list of Battles For Your Backing (or you may experience Battles Fatigue!).
Ok…yes, it is a TOP 10 list of Battles For Your Backing items to consider. I am sure you can add more…but maybe this list is a good starting spot!
Posted on April 30, 2021, in COMMUNICATION LIVES, Triple III. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment