TRIPLE III TIME: A Special Class of 2020 Graduation Ceremony Speech
Several months ago, I was asked to be the 2020 Graduation Ceremony Speaker at a local high school! Of course, I said “YES!!” and began planning what I would say when the May 29th date arrived. Well as you can guess, the COVID-19 issue has caused the cancelation of almost all major social gathering events and it quickly became an alternative challenge to prepare a video-version of my speech.
Please know that: (1) I completed it well ahead of schedule, (2) I had great extra video-prep help to make it look cool, and (3) just to make sure everyone viewing it enjoyed the messages… I began the speech with a GOATS (Greatest Of All Time Speaker) package of helpful hints… that I “magically” ordered online!!
Here were my main points:
- Remember Your ROOTS
- Brag about your home area/high school/learnings from home (if you don’t… who will?)
- Keep a Career ROOTS Diary “forever” that includes education/job/achievement information
- Consider yourself a SPECIAL HYBRID with knowledge and skills… that contains Career ROOTS only you have (and are still growing)
- Practice RESPECT
- Look people in the eyes when you talk with them
- Listening well is one of the greatest forms of practicing respect
- Shake hands when you greet people… LIKE YOU MEAN IT! (People remember)
- Just Be YOU
- Be authentic in your conversations and actions
- People recognize FAKE stuff… (would you buy a fake Babe Ruth autographed ball?)
- Family, friends, and co-workers enjoy and want to be around REAL/AUTHENTIC people… so be one!
- Don’t try to be someone/something else… just be YOU!
I really appreciated the opportunity!!