TRIPLE III TIME: Decision-Making (Points To Ponder)
If you look up the definition of “decision”, my trusty Webster’s Dictionary in partnership with my Roget’s II Thesaurus brings you results like: 1) The report of a conclusion, 2) The art or process of deciding and words like: Determination, Resolution, Firmness and Definite. So as we apply this weeks TRIPLE III TIME message topic: Decision-Making…do the dictionary definitions and thesaurus words sound like you? Does your Decision-Making style mirror the word description expectations? Simply put: Are you good at quality Decision-Making?
Quality Decision-Making is a principle element of being a great leader. People respond, respect, trust, and support someone who is able to effectively/efficiently arrive at a good decision for action. Well, maybe it’s a good time to look in the mirror and ask yourself: Am I a good decision-maker? Have I ever taken the time to ask myself this question? And to better help you find an answer, consider these Decision-Making quiz questions first:
- Do you enjoy being assigned a Decision-Making role?
- Do you whine because “I” never get to be right on an issue? (But do you also understand it may be because you avoid the responsibility of deciding on an issue!)
- Do you have a method/process/system/style for Decision-Making that people can count on?
- Do you have the confidence to be an effective decision-maker or do you prefer/need a co-decider?
- Do you apply a sense of urgency to the Decision-Making process or do you feel relieved when you can delay the outcome?
Back in my Director-days, everyone that worked with me understood that you were always empowered to make a decision everyday…EVERYDAY. Making no decision…non-action was NOT acceptable. Further it was my policy that no matter what there could always be a better decision on any issue…but no decision usually only made the situation worse!
I think if you answered all of the quiz questions honestly…everyone could improve their Decision-Making capacities. So are you ready…or still deciding?
Posted on December 14, 2018, in Triple III. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment