TRIPLE III TIME: “Creative Participation”
This week I began teaching my latest class in American Government & Politics. And although the first session is mostly focused on sharing information about who we are as professionals, students and what specifically we hope to gain from this course…there is also an “establishing of ground rules component.” By ground rules I mean that:
- There will be NO HIDING places from questions/answers/discussions
- Everyone’s OPINION does matter
- We can CHANGE course topic discussion anytime
- DISAGREEMENT is an expected standard
- Quality LISTENING will be measured
- Everyone must TAKE A POSITION on something…and defend it
- Learning PRIORITIES will be set for every class
- Students must explain why they INVESTED in this course…and specifically what they hope to LEARN
The goal of the ground rules is to foster Creative Participation. The opportunity to exchange viewpoints, address a non-traditional topic, argue professionally and truly realize and understand that new ideas/innovations come from these forms of discussion.
Are you challenged via a Creative Participation opportunity?