TRIPLE III TIME: The Recipe For EMPOWERMENT
One of the major action strategies I use everyday…EVERYDAY in my role(s) as a leader was/is to utilize co-worker EMPOWERMENT to maximize organizational performance and progress. What do I mean by EMPOWERMENT? Think about this simple definition:
“Empowerment-allowing people a choice of performance method and holding them responsible for the results.”
As an employee development tool, empowerment action makes a lot of sense and usually results in good outcomes. However, sometimes in my coaching/consulting moments, my client-customers ask a ton of good questions about “how do you make empowerment work”?
With those questions in mind, how about if we consider these TOP 10 TRIPLE III TIME ideas as The Recipe For EMPOWERMENT!
- Allow Empowerees (yes another new word) time to research work/performance improvement ingredients.
- Enable Empowerees to form new/unique co-worker alliances to improve products/services.
- Commit to the agreement that “perfection” is NOT the expectation…just improvements.
- Support failure in some areas as part of the creativity process.
- Do NOT add “we have always done it this way” comments as a component in your EMPOWERMENT recipe.
- Remember to permit Empowerees to change the recipe as the development process “bakes”.
- Plan for unexpected product/service expansion and/or diversity as EMPOWERMENT grows.
- Employ a new product/service “taste test” (i.e. evaluation system) to reinforce the “responsibility for results” promise.
- Be prepared for criticism and negativity from outside your organization.
- Utilize transparency with Empowerees and share outcomes (positives and negatives) with all involved.
EMPOWERMENT is progressively contagious. So, use The Recipe For EMPOWERMENT with positive optimism. I never regretted its use or potential!