TRIPLE III TIME: Organization “Charting”
In the past year I have had the opportunity to view a number of organization charts from agencies large and small… and even a few private sector companies. Keep in mind that I was only able to look at them just for awareness purposes. However, my “always a better way” mind almost instantly took me into that “I wonder if they would let me innovate this” zone!
This week’s TRIPLE III TIME message will use my TOP 10 format to raise some innovation zone issues with regard to Organization “Charting”. Our times and purpose are so different today. Does YOUR chart reflect the change factor?
- Does your chart only change when employees change?
- When was the last time you audited your Organization Chart for accuracy?
- Are the positions still valid… the same?
- Are the chart’s service/product divisions appropriate for the times?
- Do the lines of supervision and reporting still make sense?
- Would the Board of Directors understand/support the structure the chart represents?
- Do the job titles correctly represent up-to-date employee responsibilities?
- Is your Organization Chart confusing, overwhelming, not enough or too much information?
- Can you easily see gaps in employee accountability?
- Does your Organization Chart feel like it needs to be a constant work in progress?
The goal of this TRIPLE III TIME message is to simply encourage everyone to review/assess their Organization Chart. Does it give a feel of “where you have been”…or an energy of “where you are going”?
Take a hard look!