TRIPLE III TIME: Who’s In The Room?
Isn’t it always a challenge to try and maximize attendance at training sessions, staff meetings, recruitment events and/or other assemblies that you often spend a whole lot of time, energy and money planning? Then even as the activity is underway, isn’t it natural to spend extra time reviewing Who’s In The Room? And guess what…isn’t it also likely that after the session is over and the presenter was absolutely excellent…that more time is utilized discussing the fact that the room was only half full instead of feeling good about the quality of the event!!
Well let me first admit that I have fallen into the Who’s In The Room? evaluation mode too many times. My assessment of an event has been driven more by attendance expectations…rather than the excellent learning that was achieved by those participating. Simply put I focused more on those NOT in the room…rather than those who were!
The goal of this TRIPLE III TIME message is to encourage EVERYONE to always dedicate the majority of your leadership/management attention to who IS in the room for critical trainings, meetings and events. Think about this issue in terms of time management. Consider:
- Time wasted while trying to understand/rationalize poor attendance
- Understanding that you CAN NOT positively impact people who didn’t attend.
- Realizing the extra special product/service quality improvement impacts that were shared with those that DID attend.
- The importance of measuring more than attendance.
- The opportunity to have more personal/individual time with attendees that may turn out to be “priceless!”.
In closing let me say that I no longer allow myself to over-focus on event attendance. Instead I emphasize appreciation to those who honor their commitments and responsibilities…and make sure they receive the best opportunities and support I can offer.
Posted on July 30, 2021, in DEVELOPING YOU!, Triple III. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment