TRIPLE III TIME: CONFLICT “Made Easy”
In the consultant world and more specifically in the field of working with people, dealing effectively with conflict resolution is a principle assignment. Whether the issue is money, performance, personnel… well just about anything… having a calm, thoughtful and progressive methodology for resolving the conflict issue is critical.
Think in-depth about your multiple conflict moments. Did you apply patience, good listening skills, compromise options, and a “we are in this together” resolution approach? Or did everyone get off into side-bar conversations and issues that only seemed to expand the area and levels of conflict?
Well with all of the regular life and workplace challenges that create conflict everywhere… EVERYDAY… we need to spend a little TRIPLE III TIME applying a CONFLICT “Made Easy” approach.
What do I mean? I guess I mean it is necessary to “peel back the conflict layers” and try and simplify the challenge.
- First, determine exactly WHAT DO I WANT? … independent from the conflict.
- Remove all past problems that come from working with the person or persons involved in the conflict.
- Ask everyone else involved to also identify exactly WHAT DO I/WE WANT? as a progressive solution.
- Totally limit the “But what about’s” added to the conflict discussion.
- Qualify the inclusion of any “past precedents” that involve the conflict.
- Write down everyone’s progressive solution compromises early in the conflict conversation.
- Remind everyone that conflict is a TEAM sport and winning is accomplished together.
- “Going back to go forward” from time to time is a positive conflict resolution action.
- Avoid if possible diverse participation options (i.e. Skype/video-conferencing/telephone/etc.)
- Repeat multiple times during the conflict resolution session: THIS IS WHAT I/WE WANT!
Are these TOP 10 CONFLICT “Made Easy” suggestions… EASY? NO! However, if you and your group even just agree to start practicing these basic interpersonal discussion actions during conflicts… I believe progress will be your reward!