TRIPLE III TIME: “TEAMING-TIME”
Have you noticed the extra challenges that seem to make “TEAMING TIME” tougher to achieve in today’s world-of-work? Think about it. As you work hard to assemble maybe 3-10 co-workers/associates/colleagues to work together on solving a problem or to strategize on a cool development issue…doesn’t it seem like a “distraction virus” has infected the room?
What am I describing…let me offer these visuals:
- Only some arrive on time
- Some forget to bring something to write with and/or write on
- Some bring only laptops
- Some bring only cell phones
- Some immediately ask: “How long will this last?”
- Some comment: “This isn’t my job area!”
- Some even bring other “regular” work to spend time on
I know you all know what I mean.
I believe Leadership…strong LEADERSHIP is critical to achieve quality “TEAMING- TIME” in the 21st Century. And rather than spend valuable TRIPLE III TIME message space explaining why this is the case…how about a TOP 10 list of progressive “TEAMING-TIME” concepts.
- Communicate an EXACT start time and an EXACT end time for the “Teaming” session…prior to start-up.
- Require that paper, pens or pencils MUST be brought to the room for note-taking.
- Specify that NO technology (i.e. cell phones or laptops) are allowed in the room.
- Announce immediately at session start-up that: “THIS is what we want to accomplish!’ No sidetrack topics will be added.
- If possible, write on a whiteboard or flip chart the 1-5 discussion priorities related to the topic.
- Require each “TEAMING-TIME” member to offer a 1-2-minute opening statement about their interest/role/hopes for the session.
- Drive discussions with a sense of urgency to arrive at a solid outcome.
- Set an example of effective and efficient time management for the session.
- Retain a goal of simple understand-ability for decisions/actions that result from the session.
- Announce that everyone’s thoughts/opinions matter…so hiding during the “TEAMING-TIME” session will not be allowed.
If these suggestions sound old-fashioned…THEY ARE! Pure “TEAMING-TIME” mostly requires caring people…that lead.
Posted on April 12, 2019, in Triple III. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment