TRIPLE III TIME: Workplace/Professional Culture
One of the more important topics that has been discussed during the courses that I teach on government and politics has been our country’s “political culture”. Unfortunately, words like: Divided/Angry/Confused/Uncertain have been the most common terms used. I have been impressed with the thoughtfulness and caring that has been expressed by the students during our discussions and the hopeful attitude that they maintain about our government leaders.
Well with these thoughts in mind, I believe it is timely to ask: What is your organizations “Workplace/Professional Culture?”
To help you assess your Workplace/Professional Culture, consider these TOP 10 questions:
- Do you see smiles and hear laughter…or tension and sighs?
- Are your meetings energetic and hopeful or like old TV reruns?
- Would you hold the title of Whiners or Winners?
- Does your product/service “set-the-trend” or do you follow everyone elses?
- Is your leadership style one that always questions new ideas or one that encourages them?
- Do you convey a culture that pulls other groups to want to join yours…or cause them to avoid your organization?
- Is your Workplace/Professional Culture one that employees brag about being part of…or hide their connection?
- Does the press coverage you receive reflect a progressive Workplace/Professional Culture…or a “what happened now” tone?
- Is there a solid vision of the future that facilitates a Workplace/Professional Culture that creates organization excellence…or is it just the same old picture?
- Does your Workplace/Professional Culture debate operational minutia…and not see the bigger picture?
I believe building and maintaining a strong, growth-minded Workplace/Professional Culture is everyone’s job. However, I also believe it starts at the top.