TRIPLE III TIME: Keeping The “Right Stuff”
Changing jobs is challenging. A new work family, workplace rules and expectations…I know you understand. However, this TRIPLE III TIME message is going focus on about professionally: Keeping The “Right Stuff” as you transition. I’m talking about those documents, books, emails, whatever…that may assist you in being successful in your new position and forever prepared to excel everyday…EVERYDAY.
The easy and most convenient decision is to just take all your past work-related items forward with you. This could allow you to reach back into history and pull out an old idea/program and introduce it as unique in your new workplace. This action may be easy and convenient for you…but is it effective and efficient for your new workplace? Here are a few questions to ask yourself before you take action:
- Are your future work-based problems, persons or situations exactly the same as when your original challenges and resulting solutions were proposed…. EXACTLY?
- Could the boxes and documents from past ideas and projects become more of a “crutch” …in your search for new solutions?
- Are resources that are available today (i.e. technology) …and the work/community culture the same as were used to find your old solutions?
- Will your new co-workers and associates be irritated that you are using “old news solutions” to remedy their perceived new problem?
- Would the time taken to dig through old documents, books and/or emails be better used in researching fresh material?
- Is the information you are holding on to…TIMELESS…and be useful even 20 years from now?
- Would a common practice of referring to easy/convenient materials be considered leading by convenience?
- Would it be logical to assume that your past good ideas are what got you your new position…but are not the ones that will keep you there?
- Do co-workers and customers like to hear a discussion of “where you have been” …or about “where you/we are going”?
- If someone asked you about the boxes, books and computer files you are saving…would you say: “It’s just old stuff?” …or “I am Keeping The Right Stuff”?
There is no easy, perfect answer. But it is important to think about the questions!