TRIPLE III TIME: “Try One More Thing!”
One phrase I never like to hear during my consulting opportunities is: “Well I have tried and done everything to improve/fix/advance in this area …so I don’t know what else is left?” I know you have all heard it and I would guess that you too have uttered these words some time in your life/work history! But as you can guess my corrective action approach is and has always been to go through an often-extensive list of alternative possibilities…and not surprisingly there are maybe one or two actions that were untested.
Given these experiences I thought it may be helpful to use a TOP 10 list of lets “Try One More Thing!” fun concepts for this week’s TRIPLE III TIME message.
- Go Back To Go Forward: Got back in time and find the origins of the challenge issue. History may help you see the future.
2. Phone A Friend: Colleagues…a new set of eyes will always add insight to the issue.
3. Draft An Idea Paper: Sometimes just writing down details about a challenge and seeing past ideas in writing…sprouts a new one.
4. GOOGLE IT: In today’s high-tech world…sometimes the problems can be just a click away.
5. Break IT Into Smaller Pieces: Addressing pieces of an issue often assists in identifying brand new opportunities.
6. Assemble A Game-It Group: Break the “I’ve tried everything” mind block and assemble a small group and address the issue in an idea-generation game fashion.
7. Attempt A “Visioning” Exercise: In a creative way try drawing a picture/diagram of a possible solution.
8. News Reporter Interview Technique: If a reporter from the New York Times was interviewing you about solutions…would your “innovative-spirit” fire up?
9. Go To An Inspirational Spot: Location-Location-Location…may be an asset in finding a new option.
10. What Would_________Do?: Think of a LEADER you admire most…and ask yourself What Would _________Do?
Bottomline: So in the future before you shout “I’ve tried everything!”…check out this TOP 10 and “Try One More Thing!”